Welcome to the parish of the Sainte-Anne of Les Salles-sur-Verdon
Pastoral team: Father Andrzej Marian GOZDZ (administrator)
Come and enliven our provencal crib
A little history....
Before the construction of the Sainte-Croix dam: originally, the church of Les Salles was dedicated to Sainte-Marie. In 1033, it was given by the Bishop of Riez to the religious of Saint-Victor. It was served by these monks until the end of the 15th century, when they left its administration to the priests of the diocese.
The parish church, placed under the patronage of Sainte-Anne, was enlarged and restored in 1877. Father David undertook to transform it and the new building received the blessing on December 9, 1877. The building consisted of a vaulted nave, lit by tall narrow windows. The facade opened with a round-arched door, flanked by a fairly high bell tower with a four-sloped roof. The apse is said to be a remnant of the old church. The walls having been raised, the vault of the nave made of paired stones gave way to a brick vault.
When the Sainte-Croix dam was built: in the 1970s, the church was destroyed at the same time as the village of Les Salles-sur-Verdon. The complex was rebuilt earlier with a new church in modern style, still dedicated to Sainte-Anne. The beautiful freestone facade has a richly decorated pediment. The interior is lit by magnificent stained glass windows that diffuse soothing colours. The slightly concave concrete vault rests on lateral masonry walls. The bell tower, far from the building, serves as a belfry.
Phone +33 4 94 70 20 31
Rue de la Mouôle
83630 - LES SALLES-SUR-VERDON
Modified from 06/04/2022 by "Office de Tourisme Intercommunal Lacs et Gorges du Verdon".